Friday 30 September 2011

Children... and Parenting.

Children. Can't live with them, can't live without them.


Actually, you can live with them, it's just REALLY REALLY hard work...


My little Mini-Me is 2 years and 5 months old (nearly) and is completely loopy. She's also VERY clever (I'm not exaggerating, I'm sure. She uses words such as 'fanspastic' and 'berlicious' and frequently tells me i'm 'brooafool'* so she must be clever.) She is a whirlwind of energy that has thrown my entire life and all of my priorities up into the air, and they've landed, on the ground in a rather muddled mess, with her sat RIGHT on the top with a cheeky grin on her face.


Now. I am not a perfect parent. There are times when she drives me completely mental. She can be VERY naughty and has, as I may have said before, got my attitude. Except worse. With her, the attitude has been squished right down into a very tiny, concentrated package.


What I really really do not understand is how some parents can want to push their little girls into growing up so. Very. Fast.


Nowadays, you see 6 year old girls (and younger) being paraded around on a stage in front of a panel of 'judges' with full faces of makeup on - hair extensions in and hair styled with curlers/straighteners. Fake eyelashes. Fake tans.


Then, they take it a step further. You can now buy, a PADDED BRA for an 8 YEAR OLD. 


And also, I heard on the radio this morning... 5 inch heels aimed at 6 year olds.


What. The. Hell.


My big sister is 5 years older than me, so when she started wearing makeup at - Oh I don't know - 15 years old!? I used to LOVE having her do 'makeovers' on me. We'd sit in the garden in the summer time, or in our bedroom and she'd try out different eyeshadows, lipsticks and other stuff. Occasionally and NOT with my permission, she'd make me look even MORE ridiculous than a 10 year old in makeup usually looks. It was fun though.


However, had I thought of leaving the house aged 10 with a full face of makeup on, I think I would have been given a hiding. Saying that though... I don't think the thought ever crossed my mind. At 10 years old I was happy with my face, and never dreamed of having to get dolled up to go out. 


I don't think that aged 6, I ever thought about putting on a pair of 5 inch heels. I was too busy taking off my babies clothes and re-dressing them, or putting high heeled shoes on my BARBIE for crying out loud. 


I just cannot, in any way see what would motivate a Mum to push her daughter into these things at such an early age. Mini-Me likes tractors. And animals. And mud. And I am so, so SO happy about that. I hope she likes those things until she is at least 14. Then she can start wearing a little bit of mascara or something. 


Before then... FUCK. NO. Nobody is going to be pressurizing my little girl into wearing makeup, having low self esteem, poor body image and knackered feet and back. Get away from her, or I will scar you for life. Just sayin'.










*These words, translated, are 'fantastic', 'delicious' and 'beautiful'. In case you were wondering.

1 comment: