Sunday 2 October 2011

Baking

Alright so, in this case, I am a bit of a typical 'Mum' in the sense that I LOVE BAKING.


My Mum is an excellent cook and I enjoy most things she makes, but her cakes are seriously good. So in short, I got brought up eating awesome cake (amongst other things).


I would quite happily bake every single day of my life. For about a month and then I'd probably get fed up of working in a hot kitchen and all the washing up, but you get my point. 


I like to bake for other people - I get a lot of satisfaction watching somebody enjoying something I have made, and I always like to be told I'm good at something... Everyone loves a little ego boost from time to time! I quite frequently bake on a Thursday and take the goods to work on a Friday. It goes down well, I'm not going to lie. In all fairness I think it is one of the only reasons my boss likes me (not you Em, the other one). She only started to like me after I started feeding her cake.


Today, I've made Toffee Apple Crumble and Apple, Raisin and Cinnamon flapjacks.


Thought I'd share a recipe with you. It's been adapted off the top of my head from a recipe for flapjack that my Mum gave me, and I THINK that it came from my Great Aunty... Who knows, it could have been from either Granny, I'm sorry that I don't know that.


So. You will need....


Condensed milk - about 1/3 of a can
Porridge oats - a 1kg bag... You'll probably need between 500-600g, 
Golden Syrup - 4 tbsp
Brown sugar - 245g (i'll admit, I do round this up to 250g. Now that you mention it.)
Butter - 300g
Raisins - handful?
2 cooking apples
cinnamon




Heat the sugar, golden syrup and butter gently, stirring all the time until completely melted.


Grate in the 2 cooking apples.*


Chuck in a handful of raisins...


Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top... About 3/4 tsp depending on how much you like it.


Stir it all together and heat gently for a little while. Like... a minute. Then put about 1/3** of a can of condensed milk in and stir it.


Chuck in the porridge oats a little bit at a time and stir well. Make sure all oats are covered. 


Put into a tray of some description and bake it at 160 degrees for about 20 minutes, and then if you like the top to be a bit crispy, whack it up to about 200 for a few minutes. 


Leave it to cool in the tin.


* I really don't know if grating apples was the right thing to do. Maybe they would be better off diced or something, or even dried apple... I will experiment. Feel free to let me know if you decide to try it out.
** ABOUT 1/3, but remember the more you put in the more gooey your flapjack will be and it is likely to be best eaten with a spoon and some ice cream. Trust me. If you put in less than 1/3 it will probably end up being firmer, a bit more chewy.


Mine look like this...
Om Nom Nom Nom Nom...


I'll be really honest, they're pretty good but I think these sorts of things could always be improved upon. If you have any idea's please leave me a comment and let me know... 


If anyone actually tries this recipe I'd love some feedback too! 


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment