Wednesday 12 October 2011

Crazy Politics?!

Having a read through the BBC news website today, as I do, I came across an article that made me quite literally speechless for at least half an hour... Now that I've collected my thoughts, I figured I'd share it with you and see what you think.


Where Child Sacrifice is a Business...


I'll summarise this for people who may be viewing on phones or who can't be bothered to read the full article - basically what's happening is that children in and around Kampala, Uganda children are being kidnapped by Witch Doctors. The Witch Doctors are then sacrificing the children on the behalf of the countries 'elite' because they believe it will bring them great wealth.


I almost, ALMOST don't know where to start with this one. 


According to the article, at least one of the people responsible for child sacrifices has been named, a man called Awali. The reporters posed as local businessmen and asked around, and were pointed in this guys direction. When they met up with him, to cut a long story short, he offered them some options. Which were...


"Bury the child alive on your construction site"
and
"Cut them in different places and put their blood in a bottle of spiritual medicine."


If the child involved is male, he is beheaded and castrated. The body is then dumped somewhere. And apparently, this makes someone really quite wealthy.


Awali admitted that he has sacrificed many children and boasted that he is really quite good at it.


The reporters handed their notes in to the police, and yet Awali is still free, and still 'trading'.


Now, my first thought is this:


We - and I mean the entirety of the UK pretty much, and other countries as well put an ENORMOUS emphasis on the protection of children, and quite rightly so. They are the future after all! We don't just focus on the children of the UK - there are hundreds and thousands of charities which dedicate their time and resources to protecting children in countries such as Africa from starvation, disease...


What I can't understand is why we can't do anything to protect children from being slaughtered in the name of greed?


I don't know if it's just me, and I haven't really had the time to think this through a great deal so I may still change my mind as I mull over it some more. But does it strike anyone else as strange that we can put this happy, smiley and helpful front on - 


"We'll give you clean drinking water! We'll teach you how to make the most of your land to feed yourself! We'll help set up schools and hospitals!"


And yet we aren't able to do anything to protect the poor babies who are being snatched as they walk home from school, savagely tortured, maimed and killed, all for the alleged benefit to big shot businessmen?! 


No, THAT issue we'll leave them to sort out themselves - it's far too messy for us to get involved in. 


These children are no less important than our own. If the Ugandan Police won't do anything about the situation, we should be able to send some troops over there to take Awali down and teach the bastards a lesson. Oh but... We can't do that. It's not our place. 


Politics isn't it. 




*Edit: I mean, it does just seem to me that we're an entire nation of 'let's just talk about things, report stuff, make sure everyone knows what's going on, and then not do anything about it'. It distresses me.


** And another thing... If I'd been the reporter responsible for talking to Awali, I don't think I'd have been able to finish my assignment without being guilty of murder myself at the end of it. Oh but you can guarantee that if anyone was to do something like that to Awali, they'd get put in prison quicker than you can say 'thecountryisruledbytherichsonothingwillgetdoneaboutthissonofabitch"

No comments:

Post a Comment